GSMA Mobile Money API Specification
The purpose of this site is to detail the design principles, objects, behaviours and error handling for the Mobile Money API.
The overriding goal of the API is to enable all parties to implement mobile money API’s in a flexible, yet consistent manner. This has been achieved by the implementing the following principles:
- Use of REST architectural principles
- Providing a set of well-defined objects that are abstracted from the underlying object representations held in the various mobile money systems. This allows an API client to construct an API message without requiring specific knowledge of the target server implementation.
- Creation of a standard set of transaction types and other key enumerations, removing the need for developers to map for each and every API implementation.
- Use of ISO international standards for enumerators such as currency and country codes.
- Use of supplementary metadata and sub-types to enable use case and/or mobile money provider-specific properties to be conveyed where necessary.
- Recognising that no common mobile money account identifier exists, use of a flexible construct to enable the target account(s) and transaction parties to be identified using one or multiple identifier types.